Friday, August 24, 2012

10 Year Anniversary

10 years sounds like a long time, for a marriage it sometimes feels like an eternity, however, ten years has gone by quickly. Life is funny like that.  When I think about where I thought I would be in our marriage I smile, that knowing smile of how life throws so many things at you and screws up all your plans. I was going to be a working mother - I was going to have it all, a high powered career (director/manager role at the very least, I went to university for nothing less), I would have two children with a possibility of a third, fast cars, big home and all the trappings.

Most of you know how things have changed - I'm a stay at home mom of four - one girl and three boys (I'm still trying to get domestic goddess to stick as an appropriate job description), our house is becoming small with all these kids running around, I drive a minivan (and I refuse to give it up for anything), I decorate my home in the current style of "Boys are crazy and break everything" and I spend the majority of my shopping life in Costco. Life is never a straight line and sometimes what we thought we wanted changes. There are so many variables and so many possible outcomes...Costco never seemed like one of them to me.

What I can say with conviction is that I am happy and loved. I found a partner and a supporter, someone to carry me when I can't go on and vice versa, because with marriage there are times you can't do it all or any of it. It's never 50/50 and that's okay. Marriage is about compromise, getting your way, love, anger, fear, awe, sex, quiet, laughter, disagreement, noise, children or not, exhaustion, achievement, and change...there are so many other descriptors but the only constant in marriage is "us". So today I celebrate us, our union and our love. It is imperfect, but it is ours. To my wonderful husband I say thank you and I love you, and I pray we get at least another 10 years.

Enough of the mushy stuff, last Saturday we went to Niagara-on-the-Lake to celebrate our 10th anniversary and here are our pictures...not my typical fashion post...


Below is a picture of the historic town.




Ivan and I enjoyed massages then headed to Queen's Landing for some lunch...









I love to read and it's a running joke that I will read my books anywhere, no matter the occasion. There was a lull in our conversation...so I read...Ivan was not happy...



We visited two wineries, the first Inniskillin, is internationally renowned for its ice wine.





We did an ice wine tasting and both of us enjoyed the Riesling, we bought a bottle to commemorate the occasion.




The second winery, Jackson-Triggs, is the biggest in Niagara-on-the-Lake, we also did a tour of the estate.









16 comments:

  1. Congrats. You guys make a cute couple. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, happy anniversary! That is a number to be proud of :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riesling is my kind of wine...<3 wineries...I would so do this on our anniversary! Wonderful trip and you look lovely by the vines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations....10 years-what a milestone. looks like a great time away. we tasted ice wine in Canada a few years ago.. yum! I wonder if there's an Irish connection in thr inniskillen one as there's a large town near me called enniskillen! avril x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! 10 years is a fabulous milestone!

    Amy

    Leopard and Lillies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats. It's a milestone. What a lovely couple !

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous couple! Congratulations and happy anniversary!

    Maja - clotheskinksandcurls.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary, such beautiful pictures! Thank you for stopping by and following me at Tips 4 Saving I am now following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on 10 years!! I still have lots to catch up. ;) Thanks for stopping by my blog and leavings a congrats!

    I would love to follow each other! Just became your newest follower. Hope you can follow me back. :)

    xo - Sheila

    http://sheislovely1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Iva - Keep up the great posts. I started reading your blog when you first started out and I really enjoy reading them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your support Jenny! You were one of the first!

      Delete
  11. Congrats on your 10 year anniversary! :)

    The other day I heard (don't remember where) a mom say "home chief officer" when asked what she did for work. I thought that was so clever instead of staying stay-at-home-mom (which I see as a 24/7 job. I don't have any kids but I definitely admire moms. I watched my little cousins for couple of days and gained a whole new appreciation for moms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Iva, I just got wind of your site and I have to say from one former Wndsorite to another, well done! I've enjoyed reading through some of your posts and skimming through your pictures; you have some great tips and insight. Your pics from NOTL are beautiful and looking at them makes me even more excited for the wine festival next weekend! I will most definitely be coming back and will include you on my sites blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ana - I subscribe to you and your FB page because you are just fantastic!

      Delete
    2. I also added your link on to my blog!

      Delete